Facts and Figures
SUNY was created out of a commitment to opportunity and access, and designed to meet diverse needs across a vast geographic landscape. Already, we serve as a direct pathway to opportunity and employment for citizens of New York and an instrument for economic development. However, our work is not done.
Did you know:
- The unemployment rate is 2 times higher for those without any college experience versus those with a bachelor’s degree
- 56% of New Yorkers do not have a college degree
- 6.9 M New Yorkers have a high school degree but no college education
- In New York alone, there are millions of individuals who need access to a high-quality higher education.
Did you also know:
- 30% of higher education students in the U.S. enrolled in at least one online course
- 38% of students enrolled in college are over the age of 25
- 12,000 online sections are currently offered across SUNY campuses
- 201,799 students were enrolled in the SUNY Learning Network during the 2011-12 academic year
SUNY is building fresh frameworks that make high-quality education attainable for more students. Building on the excellence that remains the cornerstone of the SUNY academic experience, Open SUNY dramatically enhances students’ access to higher education, improves completion rates, and prepares students for success while contributing to the economic success of New York State and beyond. Through Open SUNY we are providing even more pathways to first jobs, new careers and limitless futures.